We have provided the following archive of Q&A for reference purposes only. To get answers to your home improvement questions, please visit our new community forums.

Title of Question:

Replacing A Recessed Light


Name: John H  City: Sammamish, WA

Question: How do I replace a recessed (can) light with a standard flush mount fixture?


Name: joe | Date: September 14, 2005, 4:23
Answer: You first need to disconnect the existing light and its (usually) built-in junction box then install a new ceiling box properly fastened to the ceiling joists...The new fixture will get fastened to this new ceiling box...The biggest challenge is that the hold in the ceiling from the old recessed fixture may be larger than the base of the new flush mounted ceiling fixture....You can replace the drywall to form a smaller hole or you can by decorative fixture plate that can cover the hole under the base of the new ceiling fixture.