Get a Free Estimate

Selecting the Right Agent

Take It And Run: Ilyce's Corner
By Ilyce Glink for Right at Home Daily

There are several kinds of agents and brokers you may run into during your search for a home: an exclusive buyer's agent, buyer's agent, seller's agent, dual agent, facilitator, non-agent, and discount broker.

If you don't want to use a dual agent (that is, an agent who represents the buyer and seller in the same transaction) opt for an exclusive buyer's agent.

A buyer's agent who is not exclusive may accept listings. If the same agent represents both sides, he or she is a dual agent. At that point, the agent can give his or her loyalty to either side. That's why some dual agents prefer to call themselves facilitators or non-agents.

Discount brokers (whether offline or online) will be of some help, but you're expected to do much of the work on your own. If you're willing to do the work, you'll save a few thousand dollars on your home purchase.

If you're unsure whether your agent represents your interests, ask. Most states require a broker or agent to disclose its agency relationship with you.

Hammer Have a question about real estate agents? Ask it in our forum.